• Blog >
  • Toxic Ingestion / Poison
RSS Feed

Toxic Ingestion / Poison

Pets can eat anything around our homes, especially when we're not watching. However, their stomachs and bodies are not built to withstand toxic or poisonous substances. They need veterinary care when they make such mistakes. At Brandywine Veterinary Hospital, serving Chadds Ford and Greenville, PA, our veterinarian provides treatment for toxic ingestion. We will diagnose your pet and ensure that it gets healthy.

Causes of Pet Poisoning

Pets can ingest toxic substances accidentally. This may leave you distressed, scared, and panicked. Other times, pets consume treats or other substances that do not align with their metabolism.

Many household objects are poisonous for pets. These could be normal things in your home, such as:

  • Raisins, chocolate, xylitol
  • Bleach, laundry detergent, oven cleaner, drain cleaners
  • Tylenol, alcohol, gasoline, tobacco
  • Antidepressants
  • Slug, snail, or rodent poisons
  • Yew trees, fungi, acorns
  • Spring bulbs

Signs that Your Pet Has Ingested a Toxic Substance

The most common signs of toxic ingestion are vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and seizures. In chronic cases, kidney failure, liver failure, and cardiovascular problems occur. Other signs include:

  • Internal bleeding: This causes a fast heartbeat pace, vomiting blood, lethargy, or collapsing.
  • Liver failure: Your pet will have yellow gums or dull stool. It may also experience diarrhea, vomiting, or collapsing due to sugar levels.

Diagnosing and Treating Pet Poisoning

Our veterinarian will want to know what your pet ingested. Carry the toxic substance to our animal hospital or take a picture. Our veterinary team will evaluate your pet's condition and decide which treatment procedure is best. Through diagnostic tests and procedures, we will come up with a diagnosis depending on the substance. Our vet may use an endoscopy to look at your pet’s digestive tract.

Treatment will depend on your pet’s condition. Your pet may need medications, an IV, and more. In severe cases, pets might need surgery.

Visit Our Animal Hospital for Pet Poisoning Treatment

If your pet may have ingested something toxic, seek treatment right away. At Brandywine Veterinary Hospital, serving Chadds Ford and Greenville, PA, our team will diagnose your pet’s condition and provide the proper treatment. We will also guide you on ow to avoid future issues. Our veterinarian will answer any questions you have. Call us today to schedule an appointment.

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Brandywine Veterinary Hospital Chadds Ford Office

Monday:

9:00 am-8:00 pm

Tuesday:

9:00 am-4:00 pm

Wednesday:

9:00 am-8:00 pm

Thursday:

9:00 am-4:00 pm

Friday:

9:00 am-4:00 pm

Saturday:

Second Saturday of Every Month 9am - 2pm

Sunday:

Closed

Brandywine Veterinary Hospital Greenville Office

Monday:

9:00 am-4:00 pm

Tuesday:

9:00 am-4:00 pm

Wednesday:

Closed

Thursday:

9:00 am-4:00 pm

Friday:

Closed

Saturday:

Closed

Sunday:

Closed